Brackendale PAC Plant Fundraiser – orders are due by 9:00am Monday, April 27th. Plant pickup is Friday, May 8 between 2 and 4pm in the school parking lot and will be appropriately physically distanced for safety. Place your orders online here.
Let’s Make Fossils!
Happy Earth Day everyone! Our Earth is so beautiful especially during the early Spring when buds start to flower and leaves grow back on trees.
Have you ever seen a fossil? Fossils are preserved remains or traces of organisms, including leaves. Fossils are rocks but the homemade leaf impressions on our clay look cool and will be a happy reminder of how we spent Earth Day this year.
Flour seems hard to come by these days, so we used baking soda and cornstarch to make our clay!
- 1 cup of baking soda
- ½ cup of cornstarch
- ¾ cup of cold water
- Assorted leaves, petals etc. collected from outdoors
- 1 drop of food colouring in 1 tablespoon of water
- Combine the ingredients in a small pot. Mix until the cornstarch dissolves.
- Place pot uncovered on medium heat and stir constantly. Continue to stir until it becomes thick like mashed potatoes. ( It did start to stick and dry out on the bottom for me so keep stirring the whole time to avoid a burned bottom)
- Let the dough cool for 10 minutes.
- Put a sheet of parchment paper on a table, place dough in the center of the paper and knead it with dry hands.
- When dough is smooth, roll it into little balls and flattened them.
- Press leaves and petals onto the small rounds of dough to make imprints.
- Paint with food colouring.
- Poked a hole at the top of the imprints so that once they dry, you can hang them up to decorate your home.
This time of year is so magical to observe. Hope you enjoy capturing it as an imprint! Have fun!
Let’s Make a Fun Gadget!
- Give your gadget a creative name!
- Colour and name each button.
- Explain the function of each button
- Create a model of your gadget using materials found around your home! (Cardboard, bottle caps, tape, beads, pipe cleaners, paper, etc.)
- Take a picture or make a video and email it to a family member or friend
The Party Drone Remote by Nash
The brown spotted button, once pushed, drops cookies. The multi-coloured button makes random candies drop from the drone. The green button with a blue balloon starts a party! The orange button brings down a disco ball. The blue button drops snacks. The big yellow button turns on music. And, there you have it, a Party Drone Remote!