For your children’s safety we have been closing the lower (back) field as there is a lot of ice under the snow.
Kai, Miller and Ruan from Mr. Grantham and Ms. Johnston’s classes hope that other science minded students are excited to show their Einstein at the student sponsored Science Fair on April 5th! Any science project or experiment is welcome—just make it school appropriate. You can work alone or with a partner (max 3 to a group.) Projects are due April 4. There will be an Audience Choice Award and prizes (ballots will be 3 for $1 and 5 for $2) and funds raised will go to the homeless shelter downtown.
Wednesday, February 27th is Pink Shirt Day – Mr. Zigar and the Leadership students are hosting our Pink Shirt Day Assembly at 11am. Be Kind, Just Because!
Mr. Ahmelich and Ms. Wong’s students have an entry in the BC Green Games – you can see their project and vote for it here!
We are noticing a real difference in the amount of garbage we are generating here at Brackendale Elementary since we began promoting Litterless Lunches – be at the head of your class!
Upcoming this week:
- Monday, Feb 25 – Pro-D Day – not in session
- Tuesday, Feb 26 – Mrs. Fieldhouse and Mrs. Webb’s classes to the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre in Whistler
- Wednesday, Feb 27 – Pink Shirt Day Assembly at 11am
- Friday, Mar 1 – Mrs. Smith and Mr. Zigar’s classes Cross Country Skiing
PAC Meeting – Wednesday, February 20th
7:oo pm – BRE Library
Click here for the February PAC Agenda
Events for the week of February 18 – 22, 2019:
- Monday, Feb 18 – Family Day Holiday
- Tuesday, Feb 19 – Cross Country Skiing – Mrs. Smith and Mr. Zigar’s classes
- Wednesday, Feb 20 – Cross Country Skiing – Mr. Lum and Mrs. Jorgensen’s classes
- Wednesday, Feb 20 – PAC Meeting at 7pm in the Library – childminding provided
- Friday, Feb 22 – Cross Country Skiing – Mrs. Fanzega (Benson) and Mrs. Borsoff’s classes
- Friday, Feb 22 – Hot Lunch Day
We are trying to do our part to reduce and recycle as much as possible. We are beginning a new initiative for our students’ snacks and lunches to encourage reusable containers—we will be asking children to take home any recyclables and garbage that come in their lunch bags. We appreciate your support with this new program.
Valentines Dance Fundraiser
All students are invited to join the Leadership Team on Friday Feb. 15th for a school-wide dance. It will take place from 12:00 – 12:40 in the Gym. All are welcomed, the suggested donation is $1.00, but come and dance even if you forget your donation. There will be glow-sticks and a photo booth inside the dance, for a small fee. All the money raised by the Leadership team will go to The Water Project and The Rare Condition Foundation.
Monday, February 18 is Family Day – have a lovely day!
Upcoming this week:
- Thursday, February 7th – Twin Day – dress alike with your friends and make a donation of $1 each to support the Water Project in Africa and the Rare Diseases Foundation
- Friday, February 8th
- Skating – Mrs. Stroh’s class and Mr. Fieldhouse’s class
- Cross Country Skiing – Mr. Lum’s class and Mrs. Jorgensen’s class
- Hot Lunch orders are due Friday, February 8th at 9:00am – click here for the order form
- Nesters Cards are available at the office – cash or cheque payable to Brackendale PAC
erase is all about building safe and caring school communities . This includes empowering students, parents, educators and the community partners who support them to get help with challenges, report concerns to schools, and learn about complex issues facing students.
Sunday, January 27th is Family Literacy Day is the largest national family literacy initiative in Canada. Every year on Jan. 27, families and communities across the country and throughout B.C. celebrate this special day! This link has some great ideas on how to “Take 20 minutes” to make learning together part of your everyday. Engaging in literacy activities as a family improves a child’s skills and also helps adults keep their skills sharp. I hope you find some time this Sunday, January 27th to try some of the fun ideas to get your family started! Happy Family Literacy Day!
Tuesday, January 29 – Grade 6 Stepping Stones Bake Sale Fundraiser at 3pm in the Foyer – goodies and hot chocolate are $1 each (50 cents extra for whipped cream or marshmallows!)
Wednesday, January 30
- Curling – Mr. Zigar’s class 10:-12:30 and Mr. Grantham’s class 1 – 3pm
- Kindergarten Immunization Drop In – 3:15 – 4:00pm
Friday, February 1 is a Professional Development Day – school is not in session.
The Galileo Coffee fundraiser raised $600 for our school! Coffee will sent home with the students just in time for Valentine’s Day. Thank you for your support!
Family Smart Speaker Series presents Dr. Katie Mitchell, FRCPC, a local adolescent medicine specialist, speaking about ADHD, on Monday, January 28 from 6 – 8pm at the Squamish Public Library Check out the poster here!
Kindergarten Registration – January 22nd – 25th – 8:30-3:30 daily
Parents/Guardians must register at their catchment-area school and provide:
- Original birth certificate to verify your child will be 5 years old on or before December 31, 2019
- Care Card
- Confirmation of residence
- Completed Student Registration Form
- Mr. Zigler’s class – curling – 10 – 12:30
- Mr. Grantham’s class – curling – 1 – 3